Henrietta’s Heritage House Hamlin Bed and Breakfast.
Henrietta’s Heritage House was built in 1909 shortly after Henrietta lost her husband, R. D. Moore. The house was built with a strong woman’s desire to create a place to entertain and provide a home for her family and friends to enjoy.
Our Grandad joked that his mother liked to spend money and build houses. Henrietta built three large homes. Two of these homes were located in Hamlin and the third was located in Bruceville, TX.
Henrietta’s Heritage House is the only one of the three still standing and was the grandest of them all. Fortunately, the two families that have owned the house have taken very good care of “her”. We are told that it was not uncommon for her two daughters and two sons to have dances and entertain classmates in the upstairs landing. Grandad told us stories of opening the doors on each end of the upstairs landing with the breeze blowing through, the music playing, and everyone dancing in the hallway. Henrietta also invited the neighborhood children and their families to the house for parties on the front yard. Henrietta hosted gatherings many times every week. We understand that forty-two parties were also quite common. It was a fun, happy house. I think Henrietta might have been a “party girl”. This is a very special home that we want to share!
Eventually, Henrietta, often times called Etta, gave the house to her son, R.D. Moore and his wife, Tennie. R. D. Moore especially liked to hunt and invited many fellow hunters to stay in their home. He built the dog pens for their hunting dogs outside that still stand today.
R.D. died early in life, and he and his wife did not have children. Tennie decided the house was too big for just her, and she sold the house to the C. W. “Dud” Griggs family in the early 1950’s. Dud Griggs came to Hamlin to manage the oil drilling operations of General Crude. They had two sons, Dudley and Dwight.
Olivia, Dud’s wife, was an art teacher and was known to rush home from school to attend weekly bridge gatherings at her home. Olivia followed the same desires and traditions as Henrietta in having weekly parties in her house.
Off and on throughout the years, Dud and Olivia rented some of the upstairs rooms to other school teachers and oil men. Many parties and social gatherings continued.
Years later, Dwight, the youngest son, asked Patrice, Henrietta’s great grand-daughter, to marry him on Christmas Eve during the annual Christmas party.
City of Hamlin
Early settler R. D. Moore (Henrietta’s husband) conveyed 320 acres of land to the International Construction Co. (also called the Orient Land Co.) of Kansas City, Missouri, for a town site along the Panhandle Gulf Railway in September 1902. Probably named for Orient executive W. H. Hamlin, the Hamlin community was organized in 1905, the same year it received its first post office. The Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway reached Hamlin in 1906 and a newspaper, the Hamlin Herald, was first printed that same year. Hamlin was incorporated as a town and a school system was established in 1907.
By autumn 1908, Hamlin had grown to more than one thousand citizens as more railroads reached the area. Hamlin quickly became a major shipping point, with its economy based on agriculture and the railroad. Among the town’s business operations were cotton compresses, a cotton oil mill, an ice plant, a cement and plaster plant, a grain elevator, several cotton gins, an electric generating plant, an ice cream factory and bottling works, and a telephone company.
Churches formed in Hamlin’s early days included Church of Christ, Baptist, Methodist and Church of the Nazarene. A movie theatre opened in 1907. Central Nazarene College was established in 1909. The Oscar Depriest School System for African American students began operation in 1925. Oil was discovered near Hamlin in 1928, broadening the area’s economic growth with oil and gas exploration. In 1950, the town’s population was 3,564. The school system was integrated in 1965. The population of Hamlin in 1990 was 2,791. At the dawn of the 21st century, Hamlin remains a center for farming and varied manufacturing. – Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2000. The marker is located on South Central Ave. (US 83) between 2nd and 3rd Streets.